CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question about submitting to various. publications  (Read 870 times)

sjhaertel

Question about submitting to various. publications
« on: September 10, 2024, 04:19:58 PM »
I am in a quandry with respect to submitting puzzles for publication.  Most publishers say that they will own the copyright to the puzzle if they accept it.

But, decision turn-around can be months.  Am I constrained to submit a puzzle to one publisher at a time until I get a NO decision, then I can submit it to another publisher?

Seems to me that I'm not the only one in this boat.

Thanks in advance!!

mmcbs

Re: Question about submitting to various. publications
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2024, 04:31:14 PM »
Yes, the protocol is to submit to one publisher and wait for a response before submitting it to another. Most constructors keep a log of what they've submitted so they can track the activity accurately. Frankly, I no longer submit to publishers who do not respond for months. The link below shows the expected response time for most of them. As you can see, most profess to reply within a month or so. Newsday does not mention response time, but I can tell you that a response to a theme query is fairly prompt (don't send completed puzzle).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HGynb2VpJR2akQPT7iCMUBXxqcwzmk3kJjic8F24Kk/edit?fbclid=IwAR0lO_E_1S37atCLmpTJUhtn5EZ6iBPmlnrglwOMxqhLr8LkgRlY_5W1cVE&gid=0#gid=0
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

sjhaertel

Re: Question about submitting to various. publications
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2024, 04:56:25 PM »
Thank you very much, Mark!